4DT visited Victoria Avenue and Heaton Park to conduct fieldwork activities relating to our My Manchester topic.
Our School Dog News
For a while now we have discussing the benefits of a new school dog. Miss Holt used to bring Magi (a trained therapy dog, below) to our school regularly until she left in Summer 2017 to go to work in Thailand at the dog rescue centre where she first met Magi. Magi helped lots of children with their reading, and with some social and emotional issues.
Over the summer of 2018, a cockerpoo pup is going to join Mrs Jacques’ family and will be busy learning lots of things so that he or she is ready to come into school in September. The puppy will have lots to learn and the children and staff will need to be really patient as he or she learns what is expected of him or her at school.
What are the benefits of a school dog?
- A calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning difficulties
- Encouraging expression and participation in more withdrawn children
- Fostering a sense of responsibility
- Improved behaviour, attendance and concentration, reduced stress and improved self- esteem
- Motivating pupils to think and to learn
- Enthusiasm for, and enjoyment of animals
- Encouraging respect and thereby improving pupils’ relationships with each other, parents and teachers
- Teaching children to nurture and respect life
- Helping work undertaken with the most vulnerable children, and educational improvements with lower achievers
- Helping children build confidence in reading
What is a cockapoo?
A cockapoo is bred from a Show Cocker Spaniel Mum and a Miniature Poodle Dad. They are described as –
An adorable small dog with the personality of a big clown, the Cockapoo is the first of the cross breeds (not a “pure” dog breed), dating back to the 1960s rather than to just a few years ago. Completely people-oriented, the Cockapoo is intelligent enough to train easily, hardly sheds any hair, loves being around children, and is so affectionate that you’ll never feel alone. He’s happy running around an agility course, showing off his tricks to company, being petted as a therapy dog, or just hanging out on your lap.
How will the school plan for this?
- A full risk assessment will be carried out, (as it was when we had Magi)
- All contact with children will be carefully planned and children will not be left unsupervised with the dog
- When not working, the dog will be based in one of the school offices, its’ ‘Time Out’ space
What about allergies?
- The dog will be a cockapoo (a mix of a cocker spaniel and a poodle). The poodle element means that he has low allergy and non-shedding qualities.
- All areas of the school are vacuumed and surfaces are wiped down daily.
- Any child working with the dog will wash their hands before returning to class.
- A full management plan will be introduced regarding allergies.
Do other schools have school dogs?
The closest school to us with a school dog is Camberwell Park. Mrs Jacques visited to see how the puppy is settling in and learned lots of good ideas, like displaying the dog’s timetable each week, so everyone knows what he or she is up to!
Around the country there are many schools who have their own school dog including Hope Primary in Liverpool, who have recently set up their own ‘dog blog’, which contains a very good video explaining the benefits: http://dexter-hopeprimary.tumblr.com
My book is called The jungle book.
The author is called Rudyard Kipling .
This book is Non fiction,adventure and animal story.
The setting is mostly in the jungle also some of it is in the village.
Shere Khan attacked Mowgli Violently.
Mowgli Killed Shere Khan aggressively.
Mowgli returned into the village slowly.
My favorite character is AKela because he is very wise. My cause and effect Mowgli found the ancus 5 people die.
Akela is brave his apprentice is he is grey and old
The Jungle Book______________
Author: Rudyard Kipling________
Illustrator: Mike Spoor_________
Genre (tick as many as apply to the book)
N other _______________ ___
Y animal story
Event 1 Shere Khan attacked the village.
Event 2 Shere Khan died by getting trampled by buffaloes.
Event 3 Mowgli grows up and lives in the village.
Personality: He is heroic, kind and gullible.
Physical Appearance: Mowgli has tanned skin, red pants and small eyes.
How I feel about this character and why: I feel happy for Mowgli because he went back to his true family, but I also feel sad for him because he left his jungle friends and family.
Cause and Effect of one of the events in the book
Cause —> Effect
Mowgli laughed at Shere Khan (Cause).
Shere Khan got affronted (Effect)
My star rating
I give this book 4/5 stars because there’s not much humor in the story.
This book made me feel emotional because lots of animals and people died, but…..
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!
Author Rudyard Kipling
ILLUSTRATOR Mike spoor
This book is fiction, fantasy, adventure and an animal story.
Deep in the green, dark jungle a mysterious story unfolds.
Upset, worried,scared, Mowgli’s village was attacked by Shere Khan, a rude, vicious tiger. Mowgli finds another village and kills Shere Khan by making the buffaloes run over him. Mowgli finds his family and they live happy,Mowgli chooses the village family and not the jungle family.
Mowgli found the ankus and through it away because it was dangerous, men died because of the ankus.
Bagheera is kind and friendly, wise, helpful and funny some times. He’s a black panther and he has cute eyes. He is awsome and amazing because he is from the CAT family and I LOVE CATS SO MUCH!
This book made me feel sad and upset because Mowgli chooses the village and not the JUNGLE!
I rated this book 4 stars because i love the book ,but he chooses the village.
Author : Rudyard Kipling ,
What was the story about?
There was a little baby and his name was Mowgli.
He lived in the jungle and when Mowgli was growing he had lots of friends. Shere Khan tried to kill Mowgli, but Mowgli killed him!
Who were the characters?
Mowgli ,Shere Khan ,Bagheera , Baloo , Chil, The 3 monkeys and the wolf pack.
What did you like about the book?
I like about the book is when Mowgli laughed at Shere Khan
my rating : 9/10